Before we explain how Trackier uses API in its platform, let’s get straight to the question – what is an application programming interface? An abbreviation for API, an application programming interface is a collection of functions and protocols that enables the creation of an application. It can access the data and features of other applications, OS, and services.
In another simpler API definition, it is a means through which two unrelated applications can ‘talk’ with each other. By giving access to an application’s API, the developer helps other developers (and marketers) access the functionality of and to some extent, information from their application.
Application Programming Interface (API) Real-World Example
One perfect real-world example of an API would be Google Maps API. Google Maps API allows developers to integrate the functionality and information of Google Maps into their own applications, websites, and services. It provides a set of programming interfaces and protocols that allows developers to integrate and even manipulate many features of Google Maps into their own products – like displaying maps, adding pins, markers, overlays, getting directions, and even performing geocoding.
By using the Google Maps API, developers can use the existing infrastructure to develop their own app, without having to create the feature from scratch themselves. This saves time, effort, and resources.
What is the role of an Application Programming Interface (API)?
As mentioned above, API saves time, effort, and resources. But there’s more to it than just this. We have tried to put it in the simplest terms below.
- API helps developers integrate existing features into their applications, without having to develop them from scratch. This saves time and money, all this while improving the user experience on their application/website.
- API not only helps the developers but also the company behind it. It provides organic visibility to the company by adding value to the industry in the form of shared information and functionality. Remember the added media OpenAI received when they released the ChatGPT API in March 2023?
- Lastly, API is the glue that connects the digital economy that consists of brands and consumers. They facilitate essential online behaviors and also build an interconnection between otherwise fragmented systems of websites, applications, and services.
Why Does An Attribution Tracking Tool (Like Trackier) Need an Application Programming Interface?
Attribution tracking tools like Trackier require API integration to gather data from third-party tools to provide a more holistic view of your campaigns. However, that’s not it. There are many uses of APIs for attribution tracking tools, some of which are:
- Data Integration: To provide a detailed report of user behavior and campaign performance, attribution tracking tools require data from multiple channels and touchpoints – websites, mobile apps, ad platforms, social media, emails, etc. APIs allow them to access data from these various sources for seamless synchronization.
- Cross-Channel Attribution: Attribution tracking tools like Trackier attribute conversions to multiple channels and touchpoints, and for this, they collect data from multiple channels. This is where API comes into play. Integrating APIs of social media channels, ad platforms, and CRMs like Salesforce, help collate data accurately and attribute conversions.
- Real-Time Tracking and Reporting: With the help of APIs, attribution tracking solutions can attribute conversions and events in real-time as and when new data becomes available.
Trackier & API
Just like any other attribution tracking tool, Trackier also uses API to track conversions and events in real-time and collate them on a single dashboard. It uses postback API to integrate third-party tools like Mixpanel, Salesforce, MMPs, and other attribution tracking tools to fetch data from their platform onto Trackier. Our platform allows more than 120 API integrations with all the leading third-party platforms.
To integrate your Advertiser’s Tracking Platform into Trackier Performance Marketing Software, you can follow this detailed step-by-step guide. For API integrations in your iGaming platform, follow this knowledge base article.